Building Inspections & Permits

You can apply online for various permits and register as a contractor. For instructions on how to use MyGov, read this How-To Guide (PDF). Permits are required before construction work begins.

Swimming Pool Permit

When applying for a swimming pool permit, please download and read our Swimming Pool Requirements (PDF) document. Once work has begun, you must fill out and complete the Certification of House-Pool Protection Device Installation included at the end of the document before scheduling the Belly Steel and Bond Inspection.

If you are building in a subdivision with a Homeowner's Association you may want to contact them regarding building requirements. This will probably save you time and money.

For Residential Home Construction

  • You will need to submit plans that meet the following requirements:
    • Must comply with 2018 IBC, IRC, IEC, IPC and 2017 NEC requirements.
    • A floor plan of the proposed construction including construction details.
    • An engineered signed/stamped foundation plan, including details.
    • Elevation of all four views of the proposed building.
    • MEC check (Energy Efficiency Rating Report.) This report must be done by a third party certified to do reports and must have a signature and certification number.
    • All contractors are required to be registered with the City before the building permit will be issued. Registration fee of $50, copy of Driver License, and Insurance must be submitted with the Contractor application. (Plumbers are not required to pay the registration fee.)
  • The site plan must also include the following information:
    • The location of the proposed construction on the property.
    • The location of the proposed driveway.
    • The location of all easements or a note on the plan that none exist.
    • The surface water drainage for the property.

Backflow & Cross Connection Control

What is a Cross Connection?

A cross connection is a connection between a potable drinking water supply and a possible source of contamination or pollution. Under the provisions of the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1971, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) established national standards for safe drinking water. Each state is required to enforce the various regulations of the Safe Drinking Water Act and how it relates to its state laws.

To meet these provisions, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) on January 1, 1996, enacted a state law which requires the public water suppliers to implement and enforce the Cross Connection Control Program requirements located in the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Title 30, Chapter 290 of the Rules and Regulations for Public Water Suppliers.

What is Backflow?

Backflow is the undesirable reversal of flow in a potable water distribution system. Water that is always under pressure can only flow in one direction. Then how can water flow in reverse? Water will always flow towards the point of lowest pressure. If a water main were to break or if the fire department opened several fire hydrants to help fight a fire, the pressure in the water main could drop. The demand upstream could cause a reversal in flow.

Cross connections and the possibility of backflow need to be recognized so they do not occur. A garden hose submerged in a hot tub, swimming pool, car radiator or attached to an insect/fertilizer sprayer could siphon the liquid back into the water main. Water from an irrigation system could be siphoned back into the public water supply.

Backflow prevention assemblies are designed to protect the public water system from these types of concerns.

Testing of Backflow Prevention Assemblies

All backflow protection assemblies must be tested upon installation, replacement, repair or relocation. Because backflow prevention assemblies are mechanical devices that will degrade over time, all backflow assemblies should be tested annually to ensure they are in working order. The City of Justin has chosen to partner with Vepo, LLC to allow for the online submission of Backflow Prevention Assembly Test and Maintenance Reports. All testing information will be entered directly by the tester into the online password protected Envirotrax® system provided by Vepo, LLC. Testers will no longer be able to submit paper test reports directly to the city.

Finding or Becoming a Registered Tester

All Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers (BPATs) are required to register with Vepo, LLC. Upon registration and verification of license, insurance, and test gauge accuracy, the tester will be added to the approved list of Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers.

Note: Backflow prevention assemblies on fire protection sprinkler systems are required by the State Fire Marshal to be tested and/or repaired by a BPAT who is a full‐time employee of a fire protection sprinkler company that is licensed with the State Fire Marshal's Office.

Click here to find a BPAT registered to work in the City of Justin.

Click here to download a Quick Start Guide (PDF) with information on how to become a registered BPAT.